Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Art in the Stacks: Wilfrid Dantis

The Friends of the Vineyard Haven Public Library are pleased to present an exhibit of paintings by Haitian artist Wilfrid Dantis. The exhibit will be on display during regular library hours throughout the month of October.

Wilfrid Dantis is a self-taught artist from Port-au-Price, Haiti. He began his painting career in Haiti as a street artist in the Haitian vernacular. As he gained more skill and was exposed to different kinds of painting he developed a powerful style of his own.

Wilfrid enjoys painting scenes from everyday Haitian life; often his canvases depict the hard work and challenges faced each day by the "common people". Mr. Dantis says, "Sometimes I put onto the canvas things that I've experienced in my life, and it is through my paintings and their vivid colors that I can express myself, share my culture, and offer the stories of my country. I hope to convey something of the Haitian spirit."

"Art in the Stacks" is an initiative of the Friends of the Library, to provide individual artists an opportunity to show their work, and for library patrons to enjoy art at the library throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment