Sunday, April 19, 2020

Enjoy our Library Staff Picks for April!

While the library is closed, we invite you to enjoy our downloadable audiobooks, eBooks, online classes, and streaming video collections! To learn more about available resources visit
http://vhlibrary.org/econtent.shtml

Amy recommends: "Always Available" Overdrive Fitness Collection
CLAMS new fitness collection features streaming videos for exercise and wellness from Gaiam. The collection includes sessions for Yoga, Pilates, and T'ai Chi, that are available to all CLAMS cardholders, with no waiting and available at any time.

Anne recommends: Great Courses on Kanopy
"So far my favorite Great Courses (via Kanopy) has been 'Our Night Sky' with lectures by Edward Murphy, PhD. So many fascinating stories, every night, in the sky above us. A very close second in the Great Courses is 'The Big Questions of Philosophy' with  David Kyle Johnson. Big questions with answers that are consistently up for debate."

Emily recommends: re-reading your favorites
"I have just finished reading, "Little Women," again! I enjoy re-reading books that I have read before because I ALWAYS find a new perspective or something that I may have missed the first time I read it. I recommend this book to anyone young and older who enjoy a journey back in time to the earlier days of the late 1800's in Boston, Massachusetts. You will find ways to relate to some or all of the characters in different ways. An enjoyable read where you will feel all kinds of emotions."

Jennifer recommends: "Always Available" teen audiobooks
The CLAMS Overdrive Teen Collection includes thousands of eBook and downloadable titles, including a new collection of "Always Available" titles with no waiting lists. Jennifer's recommended audiobook title for this week is Crow Flight by Susan Cunningham. The curious flight patterns of crows lead a teen computer programmer down a path of mystery and romance.

Kasia recommends: 'Must-read' Nonfiction 
"My pick this week is Nothing to Envy: ordinary lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick. A painful portrait of North Korea through the eyes of defectors now living in South Korea and China. Demick peels back the layers of propaganda, parades and leader worship to expose the people and lives underneath. This is a must-read."

Lagan recommends: Funny true stories on Overdrive 
"When someone tells me a story from their past, chances are there's some amount of exaggeration (especially if they've told the story multiple times!). But I still laugh along because I enjoy the effort they've made to entertain me. I've always enjoyed authors who are able to recreate this and invite me into their world without even having met them. If you're missing swapping anecdotes with friends, please enjoy these fun romps with masters of storytelling." Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris, Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson, Vacationland by John Hodgman.

Polly recommends: Elle Decor from the Overdrive Magazine Collection
"Managing the periodicals is my favorite aspect of working at VHPL. Elle Decor is a magazine I love to borrow each month from the library, but since I am not able to read it in person I have been borrowing it through Overdrive.  Just one click and the magazine is at my fingertips. I love escaping to different homes and landscapes, hearing the stories of interesting people and the visual beauty of the magazine always inspires me."

Library Book Club is reading 'The Giver of Stars' by Jojo Moyes
Everyone is invited to join the library's monthly book group for a lively online discussion on Thursday May 21st at 1:30pm. For more information please email Anne at amcdonough@clamsnet.org or leave a detailed message at 508 696 4211 x116.

More Recommended Reads...
Vineyard Haven Library now offers "Shelf Service" for book recommendations! Complete our online form to let us know your reading preferences, and one of our librarians will email you with personalized reading recommendations you can check out from the CLAMS Overdrive collection of eBooks and eAudiobooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment